Fafá Island Resort is situated on an 18 acres palm covered offshore island 7 km north of Nuku‘alofa, the capital of the Kingdom of Tonga. The resort is located on the western side of the island whereas the rest of the island is untouched in its natural beauty which can be explored on a bush trail. The island is guarded by a coral reef ensuring safe swimming and snorkeling in crystal clear blue waters. Due to its beauty and uniqueness the government of Tonga has declared the lagoon and reef around Fafa Island as a special marine protected area. Deserted sandy beaches invite you to relax and lie in the sun. As there are only 13 fales you won`t meet too many people strolling along the beaches. The friendly Tongan staff is always ready to anticipate your every wish and your hosts will make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Transfers run from the airport 24 hours a day so you don’t need to worry about your late arrival or early departure as the staff will ensure you are where you need to be, when you need to be there.
- Snorkeling gear
- nature trail hikes around the island
- Whale watching from the shore
- Island Day Trip – There are many small, uninhabited islands waiting for you to satisfy your island dreams. Fafá Island Resort offers a day trip in the direction of the horizon, sometimes with speed over the blue ocean and sometimes cruising carefully through the coral gardens and finally arriving on an island completely for yourself. Here you can swim, snorkel, collect seashells or explore the island. For the hungry castaway a picnic is waiting under a palm tree and you can drink a freshly opened coconut just harvested from the next coconut tree. Late afternoon the boat returns to Fafá Island, leaving you with memorable images of an unforgettable island day.
- Diving – Tonga is a not very well known but spectacular diving destination. Diving can be arranged with a dive company located on the main island. They will pick you up from Fafá Island Resort.
- Main Island Excursions – As Fafá Island Resort is only 30 minutes by boat away from the main island Tongatapu, it is the ideal location to explore the main island. You jump on our motor sailor, which operates up to 4 times a day between Fafá Island and Tongatapu. On your way through the villages and plantations you can experience the day-to-day life. You may – with some luck – run into a Tongan feast with traditional singing and dancing. A must are the Blow Holes, Captain Cook‘s Landing Place, the colonies of flying foxes (which you also can see on Fafá Island), the Royal Palace, and for those interested in archaeology, the Ha`amonga Trilithon and the Royal Tombs in Langhi. You may also have a rest on one of the many lonely beaches. On Sundays you may attend a church service and listen to the beautiful voices of the church choirs. If you book an organised Sunday Tour with us, a Tongan family invites you for lunch where you experience the traditional Umu (food from the earth oven).
Unique to this resort
- Whale Watching
13 Fales in total
Honeymoon Fales (2 in total)
One of the most beautiful locations on the island is reserved for two Honeymoon fales. They have a big bed platform with a king size bed, sitting area and a walk in wardrobe. They both have an additional large king size bed, one on a loft and the other in a separate fale with the most beautiful view over the Pacific Ocean. The bathroom is semi-open with the shower in a private flower garden. The fale is equipped with ceiling fan, refrigerator, a hammock, beach beds and a swing on the large veranda.
Deluxe Fales (4 in total)
The Deluxe Fales are larger in size and more exclusive than the Superior fales. They have a main building and a second house connected by a large veranda. The main building has a big platform with a king size bed and a sitting area. The second building contains an extra room with 2 beds, a walk in wardrobe and a semi open bathroom with the shower in a private flower garden. The fales are equipped with ceiling fan, refrigerator, hammock, deck chairs and beach beds. These Deluxe fales are perfectly suitable for families with children or friends travelling together providing an adequate privacy.
Superior Fales (7 in total)
The Superior Fales have a king size bed or twin beds. The bathroom is semi-open with the shower in a private flower garden. They are equipped with ceiling fan, refrigerator, a hammock and beach beds. 5 Superior fales have an extra room with either a single bed or twin beds to accommodate families with small children
The restaurant and open-air bar are located directly on the beach. Meals are served on the veranda right over the water with a breathtaking view. Dining under the stars of the Southern hemisphere is an unforgettable experience. Fafá Island Resort is famous for its unique contemporary Pacific European gourmet dishes, especially its seafood delights. The daily changing menu is prepared from fresh products from the local market. You may choose between eating a la carte or a meal plan. The open-air cocktail bar offers a wide range of beers, wines and tropical cocktails – the coconut milk is, of course, freshly squeezed.
Meal plan is available – ask for rates.
All guests are welcome.
Weddings & Honeymooners
Bottle of Australian champagne and plenty of flowers
Nightly Resort Rates
Prices per room per night based on 2 people sharing unless indicated and inclusive of taxes.
Superior Fale – $235
Deluxe Fale – $300
Honeymoon Fale – $345
THE ABOVE RATES WILL BE DISCOUNTED WHEN PACKAGED WITH OTHER VACATION COMPONENTS
Package Inclusions & Pricing
We strongly recommend you package the below package with one of the following:
5 nights in Fiji
5 nights in Vanuatu
5 nights in Somoa
or ALL of the above!
Please ask for more details and pricing
5 Night packages
- airfare from Los Angeles
- all airline taxes
- return airport transfers
- accommodation as detailed below
Prices are in US Dollars and based on two people traveling together and sharing one room. Rates subject to change without notice and are based on availability.
Resort Stay Options and Pricing